Our Goals for 2017-2020
As a newly launched initiative, our goals for the next three years (2017-2020) are both pragmatic and ambitious:
- Support 30 Flood Groups across the US, and help them take the first steps in developing a resilience plan for their community. We will achieve this by establishing a 'Flood Fighters Boot Camp' that offers training and technical assistance to Flood Group leaders.
- Establish partnerships with the major agencies and nonprofits to encourage local, regional, and national coordination of responses to flooding events. These include the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the US Army Corps of Engineers, the Association of State Floodplain Managers, National Association of Flood and Stormwater Management Agencies, the Water Environment Federation, and the American Red Cross.
- Participate in one or more national committee, with the aim of highlighting the voices and needs of flood survivors in national and state debate and policy discussions.
- Prepare online guidance - publications and videos - to support the activities of Flood Groups, and keep them updated through monthly bulletins.
- Establish research partnerships with university and/or government agencies.
- Achieve over 30 media mentions, through national and local TV and newspapers.